• 3311 Elm St., Dallas, Texas (Deep Ellum) • 70,000 sq. ft., 61 loft apartment and office units • constructed 1914, renovated 1997 • listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Continental Building was constructed by the Munger Brothers to serve as the main factory building for the Continental Gin Company, which became famous for its production of advanced cotton gin equipment. The architecture is Palladian in style and constructed of reinforced concrete with “mushroom” columns and two-way slabs. The exterior fill of the wall is dark-red brick with operable steel-sash windows. The building was later used to manufacture cabinets and elevator cabs.
The building had been empty for over five years when an investment partnership led by John Miller purchased the property in March 1995. The building was redeveloped into 61 loft apartment and office units. The common areas of the building are accentuated with a 5,500 sq. ft. art gallery and a roof-top deck with exceptional downtown views. Construction financing was facilitated through a combination of a HUD Section 108 loan, historic tax credits and property tax abatements.