• 3300 Main St. , Dallas , Texas (Deep Ellum)
• 30,000 sq. ft., 35 loft apartment units
• constructed 1920, renovated 1997
• listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Farm and Ranch Building initially housed the publishing operations of two magazines from 1921 until 1950. Holland ’s magazine was much like the current Southern Living and the Farm and Ranch was a trade paper for stockmen and farmers. The magazines were owned by Colonel Frank P. Holland. Colonel Holland was an early Dallas mayor. In the Dallas Morning News (March 1945), it was noted that the Farm and Ranch Building was known as “the best equipped printing center in the Southwest”.
The building is a graceful, Chicago School commercial style structure that reflects the style of the day that was being promoted in Holland ’s magazine. The three-story building is constructed of iron ore brick and has varying size wood and metal windows. Ceiling heights on the third floor reach 18 feet.
After 1950, the building was no longer used for publishing operations but rather served a variety of office related uses. A development partnership led by John Miller bought the property after it had been unoccupied for approximately 7 years. In 1997, the building was restored and converted into 35 loft units. Construction financing was facilitated through a combination of a HUD Section 108 loan, historic tax credits, fee waivers and property tax abatements.