• 1305 E. Houston St., San Antonio, Texas
• 120,000 sq. ft.
• constructed 1909-1957
• listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The former Merchant's Ice and Cold Storage Company facility is comprised of six buildings constructed of brick, concrete and clay tile between 1909 and 1957. Built for the purpose of ice production and cold storage, the building interiors are large, open spaces supported by steel and concrete columns. The roofs are flat and three of the buildings utilized the lift-slab construction technique, an innovative method pioneered in San Antonio c.1950.
At the time Merchants celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1959, the company claimed to be the second largest refrigerated warehouse in Texas. The plant handled between sixty to seventy million pounds of merchandise annually. Operations for the company were ceased in 1999 and the property sold to the current development partnership that includes John Miller and Eugene Simor.
Merchant’s Ice is a six building complex totaling 120,000 sq. ft. Initially the property was slated for redevelopment as a telecommunications hub anchored by
several leases with prominent telecommunication firms including Global Crossing. Following the telecom meltdown, the property has been repositioned as office/ warehouse, focusing on smaller companies that have an inventory requirement or are in need of an adjoining manufacturing area for their product. A portion of the property remains as a telecommunications facility with redundant fiber connections and a backup generator.