• 3401 Commerce St. , Dallas , Texas (Deep Ellum)
• 30,000 sq. ft., 30 loft apartment units
• constructed 1921, renovated 1996
• listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Murray building is a 3-story heavy timber structure that has a red-brown brick veneer with cast stone accents and a metal cornice. It is a handsome Commercial style building with simple ornamentation reminiscent of the Chicago School of commercial architecture.
The building originally opened as The Dallas Tent and Awning Building and was considered “the largest tent and awning plant in the South” according to Dallas Magazine (March 1922). The building was subsequently owned by the Murray Company, which was one of the largest manufacturers of cotton gin machinery in the world.
The Murray Company closed its doors in the late 1970’s and the building remained largely vacant until acquired by the development partnership led by John Miller in January 1995. In 1996, the building was restored and converted into 30 loft units. Construction financing was facilitated through a combination of a HUD Section 108 loan, historic tax credits, fee waivers and property tax abatements. Development hurdles included initial acquisition at auction, street abandonment, property swap and dealings with two unrelated family trusts.